Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The circle of life.

I started my day like every other day, with a bagel but today I tried the cinnamon and rasin bagel  - not the smoothest move considering the amount of sugar these americans are fond of so i'm certainly back to basics. 


 We had an early start today, Stef and I decided we wanted to see a Broadway show but considering how much we had on our agenda we decided to go early to get tickets. We then met up with the rest of the girls in the 42nd street station in an attempt to finally visist the 20th century women of style: notorious and notable exhibition but unfortunately we ended up in the projects. Not the smoothest move but hey it was certainly an experiance and we all walked away with body parts and jewellery in tact!


After our fearful detour through the project end of central park we finally arrived back at the exhibition and it was well worth the fear. There is just something about women of style from the past that i find obscenely intriguing. If I could admired like that I think my life would be complete! The absolute respect they command simply from reading a blub and a quote and looking at one dress is incredible. These women really did it for themselves and I just love it. Iris Apfel was my absolute favourite and I bought her book from the met store! (coming later). This exhibition was great as we were able to get close to the garments and also because we could actually take pictures! It was great!



















After the 20th century exhibition we went to the glamourous 'Met' museum. The met was everything I expected and MORE.  Unfortunately the costume department was closed which absolutely sucked because we had heard it was incredible! On the upside however the Egyptian section was out of this world and there is something about the heritage and the animals, the glamour, myth, gold and colours of this era that has me absolutely entranced. It could genuinely spark my interest for my collection. I ALWAYS loved egyptian history and now maybe it'll be useful? Don't hold me to that but you never know!









After the egyptian section we beelined for the modern art. It was exquisite and it was incredible to see another pollock and be so close to Warhol and Lichtenstein works! 













After we had finished with the met we walked to FAO Schwarz and played the gigantic key board from the Tom Hanks Movie 'Kid' it was awesome and it was on my 'To do' list for new york. 
 Lego Chewbacca


They also had an INCREDIBLE Barbie section. My dream come true designer barbie clothes!


After our walk to FAO Schwarz took longer than we had planned we had to hail a cab to get to  the Lion King in time! The show was INCREDIBLE I actually wanted to cry. It was so so in tune with the movie and the casting was so perfect that you could feel what was happening and it was just magnificent. The costuming was absolutely out of this world and exquisite! They quite literally brought the animals to life. It was truely aweinspiring and I am 100% glad I finally saw the Lion King on broadway - In New York nonetheless!






Today was incredible and seeing the Lion King made me so ecstatic and even a little homesick - I just wish my parents could've seen this. I was ALWAYS so in love with Disney its on par with the love of animals and space. 

Aside from that for some reason the notion of heritage and different heritages keeps playing in my mind for my collection. It's actually stupid but my entire life revolves around thinking about this collection! I think i'm onto something. I can't quite word what i'm thinking but when I do, you'll know!



No comments:

Post a Comment