Sunday, November 28, 2010

Liberty.

Today's adventure was made 10 times more enjoyable by the fact that today, I slept in!


Stef and I decided to skip todays markets due to the obscene amount of money we've been spending! Instead we decided that today was going to be specifically dedicated to seeing the statue of liberty and her nearing islands!


As I am jewish and my grandfather was a holocaust survivor the statue of liberty held particular significance to me and there was no way I was going forgo this experience like some of the other girls did.  My grandfather passed away nearly 2 years ago now and today I felt a huge twinge of pain as I got into that ferry and came toward Ms. Liberty knowing I couldn't call him and share this moment with him. His favourite thing to tell us about his time in America was the joy he felt when he rode the refugee boat into Manhattan and saw the statue of liberty for the first time and actually felt the free. His story was incredible and today I would have given anything to be able to have called him. 








After Ellis and Staten island had been conquered we decided it could be fun to visit century 21 which is a designer outlet department store - huuuuuuge mistake all the stock was ruined and there was 30, 000 people searching through it - way too intense. That endeavour lasted 10 minutes max unfortunately so we decided to head home and continue our desperate search for a japanese noodle dinner.....


Which we found, a block from the hostel!! Dinner was AHHHHMAZING just what I had been craving since we arrived in the cold climate of a NYC winter, a huge udon noodle soup! 



Amen!



No comments:

Post a Comment